What is an ozone generator, and how does it work?
As the name suggests, an ozone generator is used to produce ozone gas artificially. The ozone produced is used for water and air purification, mostly indoors. Ozone generators are widely used inside houses as long as the ozone concentration is limited and in control. However, an ozone generator must not be used for more than the required hours. If the generator needs to run for several hours at a stretch, it is advisable not to share the living space indefinitely which the machine is running. Ozone generators work on simple chemistry. Ozone is three molecules of oxygen. What ozone generators do is that they break existing oxygen molecules to form nascent oxygen. This single nascent oxygen then combines with the existing oxygen gas molecules to finally create ozone.
Why are ozone generators important?
Ozone has a short life. Due to its inability and the chemical incompatibility of the oxygen molecule with nascent oxygen, ozone does not stay stable for long. This is the reason why it has to be produced when required. Ozone cannot be stored or transported but only be made from dry, ambient, or concentrated oxygen.
Application of ozone generators
Ozone generators are not only widely applicable domestically but also industrially and commercially. Even significant industries like poultry and textiles use ozone generators to treat their air and final products for utmost purity. Some of the most basic applications of ozone generators are:
- Purification of air and water in the atmosphere
- Disinfecting food and vegetables
- Industrial treatment of wastewater
- Enrichment of water by adding oxygen
- Decolouration of industrial textiles
- Aquarium support
- Pharmaceutical production
- Fabric bleaching
- Disinfection of beverage and food containers
- Cleaning and disinfection of exhaust fumes
- Filtration and flocculation
What are the two types of widely used generators?
Aqueous ozone generating system
These work by injecting gaseous ozone into the water. This injection is helpful as the water can then be applied on the surface or articles for disinfection. Ozone is more popular than other disinfection processes since it requires less time for complete disinfection after coming in contact with the surface. Additionally, it does not leave any chemical residue behind- the process is faster and cleaner. Ozone has a high oxidation potential which is the reason why it can quickly eliminate microbes, bacteria, and harmful viruses. Ozone treatment is effective since it also prevents the regrowth of any harmful pollutants.
Gaseous ozone generating system
These work by passing ozone through the air to treat airborne pollutants. Ozone promotes an intense oxidation process which makes the eradication of contamination faster and more effective. Adequate care must be taken to ensure proper regulation of the ozone concentration in the air. It should be enough to remove the pollutants and contaminants but not so high that it causes potential health problems.
Advantages of using an ozone generator
- Ozone is 50% more effective in the eradication of contamination than chlorine and UV radiation.
- Ozone contact does not poison or damage food.
- Easily detectable and manageable. Easy to regulate the concentration as per requirements.
- Leaves behind no by-products or residue that may be potential health hazards.
- Ozone breaks down into oxygen, so no hidden toxins.
- Affordable and reasonable working cost
- Effective in removing biofilm
- At low concentrations, ozone is the most effective disinfectant.
Read More: Facts to know before using ozone generators