Bathroom renovation is one of the most challenging repairs in an apartment. There are high requirements for finishing and its reliability. We will learn how to make such a repair easier with new materials – liquid waterproofing.
The most popular way of finishing the bathroom remains tile
Mosaics and porcelain stoneware have recently become popular. Bathroom vanity store New Bathroom Style offers extensive selections of mosaics tiles and luxury best bathroom vanity 36-inch bathroom vanity and 84″ vanity. The place for the tile is deserved here. Ceramics perfectly withstand water, it has the lowest water absorption coefficient, it is durable and hygienic. And thanks to modern designs, tiles are more and more pleasing to the eye and provide unlimited possibilities for creating your unique environment.
The only thing is that there are seams between the tiles, so this finish will not completely protect the walls and floor from water. Before laying the tiles, you need to think about waterproofing. It will also be required as a protection against accidents – so as not to flood the neighbors. Poor-quality insulation (or its absence) will turn out to be a weak point of repair. The tiles may be damaged ahead of time, the appearance of fungus, and even dangerous situations of water contact with the wiring.
Bathroom Floor Materials
The previously usual method of arranging to waterproof is by gluing bituminous sheets onto mastic or melting them. The latter approach requires special equipment – a gas burner, skills, and requires adherence to all safety standards. Not very convenient for DIY repair. In addition, it will be necessary to protect the environment from contact with an open flame.
Self-adhesive rolls are more convenient. But many repair flow charts still require mastic for them. The bitumen smell disappears for a long time. It is necessary to fit the sheets to the pipes carefully and lay them on top with the desired overlap. Rolled waterproofing will raise the floor level by a couple or even five centimeters.
A new type – liquid or coated waterproofing
These are ready-to-use materials or dry mixes that are diluted with water. Yes, they have bitumen in their composition, but they have less odor because these mixtures are prepared for water. Thanks to the liquid form, such waterproofing is much more convenient to apply. It penetrates all problem areas: corners, joints, transitions. When cured, it forms a one-piece coating without seams.
Bathroom floor waterproofing application
We cover the areas that will be directly in contact with water with waterproofing. These are the places around the water taps, sinks, toilet bowl, bathtub, shower wall. And, of course, the floor itself.
It is worth taking care of the protection of the walls, even if water does not flow through them. Due to the high humidity in the bathroom, condensation inevitably appears, which gradually penetrates the joints, destroying them and the tiles. Also, fungus and mold appear from the walls. They are hazardous to health, challenging to get rid of – it is better to prevent their appearance in advance. Here, you can apply paint insulation with a similar composition but more flexible and a less thick layer.
Floor waterproofing work order
1. Clean the base and walls from dirt and dust. If we have recently poured a screed or self-leveling floor, they can be sanded to remove the laitance.
2. Prime the surface. You can pre-apply antifungal liquids. But be sure to treat the walls and floor with a deep penetration primer. We wet the corners and joints with a brush, and large surfaces can be covered with a roller. We control the drying of the primer: if the surface is very absorbent, cover it several times, waiting for each layer to dry.
3. Apply liquid waterproofing. Brush, roller; if a mechanical application is possible, then by spray. First of all, we coat the corners and joints, additionally reinforce them with rubber or rubber bands (or special insulation for joints – manufacturers often produce a complete set of products for their mixtures).
4. Insulate the floor by covering both the base and the walls to a height of 10-20 centimeters. We should have such a solid bowl that will hold water.
5. Wait for the first layer to dry according to the instructions and apply the second layer.
The surface is then ready for tiling. It’s that simple!