The main dish in Saudi Arabia is Kabsa. Rice and halal chicken are the main ingredients. The other Arab countries also love Kabsa very much. If you want to treat your taste buds with something special, you can prepare Kabsa. It is delicious when it is steamy hot.
- Chicken 1 whole (with skin, cut into 4-8 pieces)
- Rice 3 cups
- Onions 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes 2 (blended with skin)
- Tomato Paste 1 tsp of
- Garlic Paste 1 tsp
- Ginger Paste 1 tsp
- Carrot 1(grated medium sized)
- Coriander Powder 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp
- Mix Spice/Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
- black pepper powder 1/4 tsp
- red chilli powder 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- Lemon half (cut in thick slices)
- Cinnamon Sticks 2
- Cardamom 3 pods
- Cloves 5
- raisins (for garnishing)
- pine nuts (for garnishing)
- oil 1 cup
Now, let us see the cooking instructions to make Chicken Kabsa:
How to make Chicken Kabsa?
- Use a large pot to prepare the chicken to fit the big pieces of chicken comfortably.
- Then add whole spices after heating 1 cup of oil in the pan. Before adding the onions, let them sputter.
- On medium-high heat, fry the onion until they become golden.
- When you’re ready to add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and ground spices, add the ginger and garlic paste and fry it for a little while. Until the tomatoes are gooey and the oil begins to separate, keep stirring and frying.
- Sprinkle some salt and add chicken pieces to the pot.
- Cook the chicken over high heat until the oil separates.
- After adding the 4 cups of water, let it simmer on low heat.
- Turn down the heat and continue cooking until the chicken is soft.
- On medium-low heat, it usually takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, the chicken cooks washed and soaked the rice.
- Use a spoon to transfer the cooked chicken pieces to a dish and cover them with foil.
- Scale up the broth. You will need 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice you use. You can add some water to the broth if it is insufficient by making it the right amount.
- Put the heat back on. Add the sliced lemon and grated carrots to the chicken stock.
- Add the rice that has been drained to the water when it begins to boil. Set the salt to taste after a taste check.
- Cook on medium-high heat until it becomes difficult to stir and the water has reduced. Now is the time to add the chicken to the rice if you want it there.
- Before dropping them into the rice and stirring it, remove the skin first.
- After closing the lid tightly, let it steam for about 20 minutes on low heat.
- You can steam the rice without the chicken if you prefer it grilled or fried instead.
- Toast the raisins and pinenuts in a bit of butter, then sprinkle them as a garnish over the rice. Serve the chicken and rice.
You can serve it plain or with a bowl of hot sauce made from fresh tomatoes and green chilies.