Applying to the US High School as an International Student

High School

Last Updated on August 1, 2023 by

Attending high school in the USA may be an amazing prospect that allows pupils to broaden their horizons. However, with so many colleges to select from, it might be difficult to discover the ideal one and figure out how to apply.

Plus, you will be required to fulfill a set of prerequisites, such as providing credential evaluation and other educational documents. Fortunately, there are numerous paths to attending high school in the US. Read on to learn more about applying and succeeding as a high school student in the US.

Applying to a High School in the US

The first step is to apply for admission to the high school you intend to attend. To begin, consider how long you want to study in the US because international students are generally only allowed to enroll in a public school for up to 12 months.

On the other hand, those enrolled in a private high school in the USA can study for the entire duration of the academic program, as long as they meet the other requirements of their visa. Next, you need to apply for a foreign high school transcript evaluation.

In the end, each high school has its own application criteria. However, you should include financial records demonstrating your ability to pay program fees and expenditures, credential evaluation, and proof of linguistic proficiency, such as a TOEFL score.

Finally, don’t forget to include your vaccination records. Some institutions may additionally demand essays, interviews, or recommendations from teachers. Once you have been approved for enrolment, you are all set to apply for a visa.

Visa Alternatives for High School Students in the US

As an international student, you can study in the US on one of two visas:

F-1 Student Visa:

 You can apply for an F-1 visa regardless of whether you study at a public or private school. You will need to get a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status from your school official in order to apply.  

J-1 Exchange Guest Visa: 

You can apply for the J-1 visa as an exchange student if you will be attending high school as part of a cultural exchange program recognized by the US Department of State.

Accommodation Alternatives for High School Students

Foreigners in the USA high school can stay with a host family or arrange their own housing. Designated sponsor companies recognized by the US Department of State can assist students holding US visas with the necessary planning and logistics.

Host Families

Living with a host family is a great way to get a taste of American culture. In the United States, you will be hosted by a family that will show you around and makes you feel at home.

You’ll get the chance to immerse yourself in American culture, practice your English, and make lifelong friends with a kind American family through an au pair program. Families range in size and composition, but they all share a commitment to providing overseas students with an authentic taste of American life.


Students at a boarding school in the US may reside in a dorm. International students live together with American students. Staff members may also reside in the boarding school, so students always have someone to go to for advice and encouragement. 

The chance to meet and connect with so many wonderful people all at once is truly remarkable. International students need to know they are not alone in dealing with homesickness or cultural shock.

Scholarships & Financial Aid for International Students

To attend any school, public or private, you must pay the entire tuition rate unless you are an exchange student on a J-1 visa. J-1 visa exchange students are exempt from paying tuition and other fees.

Due to the ineligibility of overseas students for federal student aid in the United States, most students rely on family to cover the costs of tuition and application fees. Scholarships for international students are sometimes available from private institutions.

Other options include applying for a private loan from a bank or financial institution in the United States or contacting the United States Embassy in your country to inquire about funding opportunities.

For public schools, yearly costs are generally between $3,000 and $10,000. Private schools tend to cost more because of their exclusivity. This is in addition to visa costs incurred by foreigners in the USA high school. You should bring a record of your payment to your interview when you enter the United States in case you are asked to prove that you have paid your visa fee.

The Bottom Line

One of the many advantages of studying in the US is the variety of high schools available. There are several possibilities, whether you choose a public or private school. Once you have decided on the school you wish to attend, start the application process to start a new and exciting academic year in the US as an international student.

Apart from this, if you are interested to know about Some Common Pitfalls That Student Must Avoid While Applying For Temporary Graduate Visa 485 then visit our Education category.