Every student of commerce wants to become CA, and now, after the exemption of ICAI, students of science and arts are also showing interest in it. CA is a respected and recognized position in every company. There are some subjects needed to become CA in India, also a participant has to clear three-level examinations, Foundation, Intermediate, and Final. Moreover, all three levels are procedures of selecting CA in India and ICAI keeps changing the syllabus from time to time. If you are also looking for a complete syllabus for CA exams, then read this blog.
CA Syllabus and Exam Pattern
ICAI conducts examinations for all CA levels and also provides course material to the registered students. In addition, the course for each level of CA is divided into parts, and each has a different registration process. To become a certified CA, you need to have proficiency in all subjects.
The number of papers according to courses:
- CA Foundation (4 Papers)
- Intermediate (16 papers, 8 papers of new syllabus, and 8 of old syllabus)
- Final (16 papers, 8 papers of new syllabus, and 8 of old syllabus)
ICAI Exam Highlights
Check the CA exam overview before proceeding to individual course details.
|Exam Name||ICAI Foundation, ICAI Intermediate, and ICAI Final|
|Conducting Body||Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
|Exam Frequency||Twice a year,|
|Exam Duration||2 hrs.|
|Exam Purpose||Training and Certifying Chartered Accountants in India|
|Course Offered||Chartered Accountancy|
|No. of Test Cities||192 cities in India and 5 abroad|
CA Foundation Syllabus
CA Foundation is an entry-level exam and compiles the basic syllabus of commerce. Also, for such students who choose CA after class 12th, the foundation exam is mandatory. Although ICAI has given an exemption to the participants of commerce graduate and they can directly fight for intermediate. Moreover, The ICAI conducts CA foundation exam twice a year, comprising 4 papers.
1: Principles and Practice of Accounting: Business Laws
2: Business laws and business Correspondence: Business Correspondence and Reporting
3: Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, and Statistics: Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, Statistics
4: Business Economics and Business & Commercial Knowledge: Business and Commercial Knowledge
CA Foundation Exam Pattern
- Foundation is an offline exam that is held twice a year
- Students can also choose the language of paper between Hindi and English
- Further, Every paper contains a maximum of 100 mark’s questions, and the time for solving the paper is 3 hrs.
- The first two papers have a subjective question, and the last two papers have objective-type questions.
- Negative marking scheme will be applied on wrong answers(only in objective type questions)
- Lastly, Passing criteria will be 40% marks in every paper, and students must score 50% marks in cumulative marking to pass the foundation exam
CA Intermediate Syllabus
Once, the students who have passed Foundation and those who have entered through the direct entry route will have to register for Intermediate. At this level, the work efficiency of the participants being tested. The Intermediate Syllabus is also divided into 2 parts consisting of 8 subjects.
Group 1: Accounting, Corporate and Other Laws, Cost and Management Accounting, Taxation.
Group 2: Advanced Accounting, Auditing & Assurance, Enterprise Information Systems & Strategic Management, Financial Management & Economics for Finance.
CA Intermediate Exam Pattern
- Students can choose any of the two mentioned groups, or it is also possible to choose both groups.
- Moreover, the change in the question paper pattern in Intermediate, objective type questions carrying 30% part of the paper have been included in Paper No. 2, 4, 6, 7.
- The 70% part of paper same as earlier
- Further, The objective questions will follow the MCQ pattern and carry the 1 or more marks, and there is no negative marking scheme in this part of paper
- And, students must answer the first question of paper, although they can choose not to answer in rest of questions
- Aspirants need to score 40% marks in each paper and an aggregate score of 50% marks to clear the exam (400 for both groups and 200 for one group)
CA Final Syllabus
Now, this is the final stage in which the participants will have to demonstrate the highest knowledge. For this, CA final students will have to go through 8 exams into 2 groups.
Group 1: Financial Reporting, Strategic Financial Management, Advanced Auditing, and Professional Ethics, Corporate and Economic Laws.
Group 2: Strategic Cost Management and Performance Evaluation, Elective paper, Risk Management, Financial Services, and Capital Markets, International Taxation, Economic Laws, Global Financial Reporting Standards, Multidisciplinary Case Study, Direct Tax Laws, and International Taxation and Indirect tax laws
CA Final Exam Pattern
- The CA final exam pattern is similar to that of intermediate, with some exceptions, which are being mentioned below.
- Papers No. 3, 4, 7, and 8 have 30% objective questions.
- Paper No. 6 is optional, and students have to choose any one of the 6 subjects.
The CA exams were postponed during the pandemic, but ICAI has decided to complete them in July. Moreover, all the information related to the syllabus and exam pattern of CA has been put in this blog. If you want to suggest something else which we have forgotten, then please comment.