Mold is an organism that comes from the fungi family. Mold grows inside of home as well as outside.They grow outside rapidly because of optimal conditions for their growth as they decompose the debris of dead plants and animals but the interior molds are problematic and cause allergies.
This fungi family organism causes many mold illness issues like mold allergies. Mold allergy can be cured by reducing the exposure to molds but you can’t avoid them completely. There are a number of medicines to ease the symptoms. If your symptoms are not getting any better then it is important to see a mold doctor immediately.
5 Most Common Types Of Molds
There are multiple types of molds that grow inside the house or building and outside in the open spaces. Recognizing a mold type without performing a test is impossible.
Cladosporium: Cladosporium grows both in warm and cool places and usually it is brown, green or black in color. Cladosporium is commonly found in cooling or heating ducts and it also grows on the surface of wood, carpets or fabrics.
Aspergillus: Aspergillus is green white or gray in color with dark spots on it with a powdery look. Ventilation is not necessary for its growth and usually grows vigorously in dry food, fabrics, attics and basements.
Penicillium: This blurry mold is blue,yellow or green in color. Penicillium is often found under the carpets and insulation especially when there is water leakage.
Alternaria: This fuzzy mold in white in color with black spots on it. It tends to grow near air conditioners,windows and in the kitchen and bathrooms.
Aureobasidium: Aureobasidium is usually pink in color with black spots. It tends to grow in walls, caulkings, wood and grouts.
Causes Of Mold Illness
Mold spores are everywhere and everyone breathes in mold spores.When you inhale tiny mold spores, your body recognizes them as foreign invaders and develops antibodies to fight against them resulting in mold illness symptoms. Being allergic to one type of mold doesn’t mean you’ll be allergic to another mold. Not every type of mold spreads allergies, the most common mold that spreads allergies are:
Symptoms of Mold Illness
- Cognitive impairment difficulties
- Digestive system disorders like diarrhea, abdominal tenderness, intestinal hemorrhage, anorexia and enteropathy.
- ENT problems including eye tears, increased thirst, throat irritation, metallic taste in mouth and sinusitis.
- Immune system suppression or upregulation, GSH deficiency along with inability to detoxify pesticides.
- Urgency and glomerulonephritis
- Shortness of breath, cough and asthma
- Appetite swing, narcolepsy and body temperature dysregulation
- Morning stiffness joint pain and joint cramps
- Depression, headache seizures, tremores, vertigo and static electric shocks
- Infertility, disturbance in reproductive cycle and increased estrogen levels in men and women
- Rash, burning sensation and unusual body sensation
Preventive Measure To Reduce The Risk Of Mold Illness
Mold spores are part of our life and they are everywhere around us. It is impossible to completely get rid of the mold but some preventive measures can make your home unsuitable for mold growth. Here are the simple steps for prevention.
- Clean up the wet areas and fix water leakage issues if any.
- Repair the broken windows that are collecting moisture.
- Clean up the furnaces and change filters of air conditioners.
- Make sure that the humidity level in your home is less than 50%.
- Do not carpet bathrooms and laundry rooms.
- Use anti mold products.
- Make sure the water drainage system is properly working in your home.
If you or any of your family suffers from allergies including asthma and chronic lung conditions then it is important to take all the necessary measurements to protect yourself from mold illness. If somehow you catched mold illness then you are at the risk of more severe symptoms based on your health condition. In such a case it is important to see a mold doctor for a proper treatment.
Read more: Benefits Of Yoga And Martial Arts