Unprotected sex can potentially lead to pregnancy. But when that does not happen for a couple, one or both partners may be infertile. It is easier for women under 40 to conceive a child because they are still regularly menstruating. Expanding your family is a beautiful thing; however, it is a lot more difficult for some to conceive than others.
If you have been trying every method in the book and are struggling to get pregnant, it is time to check for infertility. Infertility treatment helps in correcting the body’s mechanism for couples to extend their families.
It is essential to remember that age is a critical factor in determining whether a woman can get pregnant. Therefore, both partners should undergo tests and seek infertility treatment to enhance their chances. The process can be emotionally draining, and hence both partners must be supportive of one another. Do not place blame on each other or nitpick.
- Begin by consulting a gynecologist. If you are a woman, you will have to inspect your pelvic area to check for lumps or tenderness. It helps the doctors rule out fibrosis and ovarian tumors. You might also have endometriosis (a painful disorder in which tissue similar to the tissue that usually lines the inside of your uterus, the endometrium, grows outside your uterus) or pelvic inflammatory disease.
- It differs from men. First, they are examined to check for lumps or deformities, or other abnormalities with the penis. Then, after conducting a physical exam, the team gets back to you with the results.
- After a physical examination, blood tests are next in line. They assess women for a hormone known as progesterone which determines whether the woman is ovulating. The tests occur depending on the menstrual dates. In addition, people with irregular periods are offered a test to measure their hormones. These are called gonadotropins, which stimulate the ovaries to produce eggs.
- They are also tested for chlamydia which can impact one’s fertility. They use a small cotton bud to assess samples from one’s cervix to conduct this test. They might also order a urine test. If you test positive, it is treated with antibiotics.
- Next are ultrasound scans which give us a 3D image of what is happening inside a woman’s uterus. They check the ovaries and fallopian tubes as well. It is paramount in preventing endometriosis and fibroids. In addition, it reveals any other fallacies that might be preventing you from conceiving. For example, if there is a blockage in the fallopian tubes, the doctor might recommend a laparoscopy. A transvaginal scan occurs when the scan is placed inside one’s vagina to check the women’s health. There are several different kinds of ultrasounds to help people.
- Men undergo semen analysis to examine what is going wrong. Either the sperm count is too low, or they are too weak to travel. They are also tested for chlamydia which is treated with antibiotics.
The process is exhaustive and can induce high stress levels among both individuals. But remember that you are bringing life into this world, and it can sometimes be complex. But follow the guidance and direction provided by your doctors, and you should be able to conceive a child.