Creating a WordPress website is easy and can be done in three simple steps. WordPress, being the #1 content management system, makes creating a website quite straightforward. You can create important web pages for your website as well as publish blogs from this platform. WordPress also helps optimize your website for users and search engines through many SEO plugins. Plus, it helps integrate your website with Google Analytics.
Table of Contents
Three Simple Steps To Make A WordPress Website
Below are three simple steps to make a WordPress website. These steps are easy to follow and don’t require any technical or coding knowledge.
A domain is an online identity of your business, such as example.com. Register your domain name with website hosting providers like GoDaddy or DreamHost. While selecting your domain, ensure it is short & simple, memorable, and aligned with your business.
For instance, if you sell kids’ clothes, a domain name like ‘buykidsclothesonline.com’ will make it easy for your target audience to find your website online. Plus, it will help with search engine optimization.
Hosting is another essential factor when building a website. Web hosting provides the required storage space and bandwidth to publish your website on the Internet. There are different types of hosting available, such as Shared hosting, WordPress hosting, Cloud hosting, and VPS hosting.
Depending on your website, choose a hosting type that best suits your needs. Make sure to sign up for quality web hosting as it can make a difference between your website being accessible at all times vs an unsecured website with poor user experience.
Most website hosting companies offer 1-click WordPress installation. Just log in to your hosting account and start the process of downloading WordPress. Once downloaded, you can log in to your WordPress admin dashboard via example.com/wp-admin/ from your browser.
Steps To Customize Your WordPress Website
Once you have set up your WordPress website, log in to your WordPress admin dashboard. Follow the next steps to customize your website as per business requirements.
Select A WordPress Theme
WordPress comes with default themes. To change the theme, click on Appearance ➜ Themes ➜ Add New. You can select your preferred theme from the available options.
- Once you have selected a theme, click on ‘Install.’
- Next, click ‘Theme Customizer’ on the left-hand panel in the WordPress dashboard. Here, you can edit the various sections and add the required details.
Create Important Web Pages
Important web pages you should have include a Homepage, About Us page, Service page, and Contact Us page.
- To create a page, head over to Pages ➜ Add New. Enter the title, content, and images for each page.
- Likewise, you can click on Posts ➜ Add New to create a new blog post.
Install Essential WordPress Plugins
To add more features and customization to your WordPress website, install WordPress plugins. Most essential WordPress plugins are free. Some plugins have a free core version, but if you want to use premium features, you need to subscribe to a paid plan.
Here are the top five must-have WordPress plugins:
- UpdraftPlus: This plugin allows you to automatically schedule backups for your WordPress website.
- WPForms Lite: With this plugin, you can add contact forms to your WordPress website.
- Sucuri: This plugin helps with website security audits, monitors & detects malware and comes with a site check & integrity scanner.
- Yoast SEO: This plugin allows you to optimize your website for users and search engines. It makes it easy to add meta tags and alt text pages/posts and images on your website, respectively. It also provides suggestions to improve your website’s performance on the search result.
- MonsterInsights: This plugin makes it easy to connect your Google Analytics account to your website. It will help you track website traffic and other key factors.
Since most businesses prefer WordPress CMS to build their website, a lot of help is available that makes creating a WordPress website effortless. For instance, many hosting providers offer a 1-click WordPress install feature with all hosting packages.
The two things to invest in while making a WordPress website are domain and hosting. WordPress is open-source and can be downloaded for free from WordPress.org. Once you have downloaded WordPress, you can start customizing it. Begin with the theme, create important web pages and install essential plugins.
The entire process of creating a WordPress website is straightforward yet a bit tedious. If you don’t have the required time or in-house resources, you can simply hire a WordPress development company to build a professional WordPress website for your business. They will ensure your website is responsive, well-optimized, and compliant with W3C standards.