Is your Netgear WiFi router running extremely slow? Does the WiFi icon on your WiFi-compatible device drops abruptly? If the answer is yes, then we advise you to change the MTU settings on your Netgear router.
Now, you may be wondering what MTU is and how it will work to put an end to the sluggish internet problem. Well, no worries! In this article, we will make you acquainted with every aspect related to the MTU settings on the Netgear router. So, read on.
Table of Contents
What is MTU Settings?
The term MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit. It is the largest data packet transmitted by a networking device. Every Netgear wireless router comes with the default MTU size. However, if you want to change it, you have to access the routerlogin page.
Reasons to Change Netgear MTU Settings
You can change the MTU settings on your Netgear wireless router in any of the following situations:
- You are experiencing a poor internet connection.
- The VPN you generally use has degraded the performance of your WiFi device.
- You are facing issues staying connected to your router’s WiFi network.
- You are unable to access certain websites.
Now, let’s head over to the steps that you need to follow in order to change the MTU settings on your wireless router.
Steps to Change Netgear Router MTU Settings
- Plug your Netgear WiFi router to a wall socket and press the Power button.
- Once the power LED on your wireless router stabilizes, grab an Ethernet cable. Make sure that it is non-damaged.
- Now, make a finger-tight connection between the Netgear router and the modem using the Ethernet cable.
- Thereafter, switch on your PC.
- Launch any web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, etc. Do not forget to update the web browser and clear its cache, cookies, and browsing history.
- Move the cursor to the address bar of the web browser.
- Type the default web address of the Netgear wireless router into the address bar.
- Press the Enter key.
- The Netgear router login page will be displayed prompting you to fill in the default login details.
- Provide the required details and click the Log In button.
Note: The default login details of your Netgear router are case-sensitive. It means a little typing error can halt your access to the router login page and prevent you from changing the MTU settings on your router. So, make sure that you enter the correct default username and password. Besides, turn the Caps Lock key on your keyboard .
- Hitting Log In will take you to the Netgear Genie setup wizard.
- Select the Advanced menu and click the Setup option.
- Move to the WAN Setup section.
- Now, enter a value from 64 to 1500 in the MTU Size option.
- Click the Apply button and let the changes made to your Netgear router be saved.
In this manner, you can change the MTU settings on your Netgear WiFi router. To do it with ease, avoid turning off your router or refreshing the web browser.
If you come across any issue while changing the MTU settings, then, first of all, change the MTU size to 1400. Thereafter, successively reduce the MTU size from the maximum value of 1500 until the issue gets fixed.
In the Nutshell
Our guide to change the MTU settings on the Netgear wireless router ends here. Here’s to hope that you will be able to change the MTU settings in a hassle-free manner with the help of the aforementioned steps. If this article worked for you, don’t forget to leave a word of appreciation in the comment section.
Read More: 10 Best Bone Conduction Headphones