Students often think that the class 6 Mathematics syllabus is very hard to study. However, you do not have to stress. Students have to adopt a few study techniques suitable for making the learning process easier. Through this article, we are going to discuss the most important book for cracking the exam — the NCERT book. It is imperative that along with the NCERT textbook, you also refer to the Vedantu NCERT maths book class 6 solutions pdf free download whenever you are stuck in a question because it has all the answers to every question in your NCERT maths textbook.
The syllabus for class 6 maths exam includes –
- Chapter 1: Number System – This chapter, called Knowing Our Numbers in Class 6 Maths book, lets pupils understand a variety of concepts such as numbers till one crore, Indo-Arabic and European system of numbers, and roman numbers, along with estimating large numbers. Students are also going to learn how to read and write, as well as compare numbers.
- Chapter 2: Whole Numbers – Chapter 2 starts with the introduction to Whole Numbers. Thereafter, it has concepts like predecessors and successors of natural numbers, and adding, subtracting and representing natural numbers on a number line.
- Chapter 3: Playing with Numbers – Students are going to learn how the factors or multiples of any given number are obtained. Perfect numbers, prime and composite numbers, co-primes with common factors or common multiples make up the concepts included in this chapter. Students will also learn how to find LCM and HCF through the prime factorisation process.
- Chapter 4: Basic Geometrical Ideas – The fourth chapter called Basic Geometrical Ideas teaches students about line segments, the concept of distance between given points, classification of lines, angles, and several kinds of shapes like polygons, circles and triangles.
- Chapter 5: Understanding Elementary Shapes – This chapter discusses all kinds of shapes created using curves and lines. Students will learn how to make out the vertices, edges, faces, open and closed curves by themselves.
- Chapter 6: Integers – Chapter 6 in NCERT Class 6 Mathematics book called Integers talks about the concept and presentation of the negative numbers. Students will learn representing Integers through the number line, sequence of Integers, their addition and subtraction, and adding and subtracting integers with the help of a number line through the chapter.
- Chapter 7: Fractions – This chapter, Fractions, deals with the number line, along with classifying fractions as proper, improper or mixed fractions. Concepts like equivalent fractions, simplifying a fraction, unlike and like fractions, comparison of like and unlike fractions, and adding and subtracting fractions were also discussed.
- Chapter 8: Decimals – In the Decimals chapter, the concept of Decimals with word problems, along with progression to complicated concepts with relation to Decimals are discussed in detail. Tenths and hundredths, comparison with Decimals, the concept of money, lengths, weights, adding and subtracting of Decimal numbers are a few topics that have been covered in this chapter.
- Chapter 9: Data Handling – In this chapter, the students are introduced to the concept of data, classification of data as well as the various methods of representing data. Introducing, recording, and organizing data, introducing the pictograph, its interpretation and drawing techniques, introducing bar graphs, interpreting a presented bar graph and methods of drawing it make up the primary topics that have been talked about in this chapter to allow students to understand clearly the ideas behind Data Handling.
- Chapter 10: Mensuration – In the tenth chapter called Mensuration, in the NCERT Class 6 book of mathematics, students will be learning about measuring simple shapes as well as figures by volume and area. Measuring the perimeter of a shape, the perimeter of a rectangle and other regular shapes, measuring the area, such as the area of rectangles or squares constitute some of the basic topics covered in this chapter.
- Chapter 11: Algebra – Chapter 11, Algebra, introduces children to a completely new concept in Maths that allows the solving of numerical problems using alphabets. Along with Algebra, patterns using matchsticks, idea concept of variables, examples with variables, the usage of different variables in regular rules, variable expressions, using these for practical application, equations and their solutions are some of the major concepts that have been discussed in this chapter.
- Chapter 12: Ratio and Proportion – In Chapter 12, called Ratio and Proportion, the students are going to understand certain quantities that are comparable through division. This comparison is done with the help of a division called the ratio. Apart from that, students will be taught about equivalent ratios, and thereby the concept of proportions. This chapter begins with the concept of ratios. Moreover, it also discusses the ideas of proportion, the related examples and ultimately provides examples with the help of the unitary method.
- Chapter 13: Symmetry – Drawing Symmetric diagrams such as Ink-blot Devils, or Figures that have Two Lines of Symmetry and Figures that have Multiple, i.e. more than two Lines of are elaborated with care. Reflection, as well as Symmetry, are the major topics that have been discussed in detail in the chapter.
- Chapter 14: Practical Geometry – The final chapter of the NCERT Class 6 Maths book called Practical Geometry, is related to the making of a few simple shapes that students are expected to be familiar with as well as the tools to be used for drawing these shapes. The various concepts included in this chapter are drawing a circle with its radius known, a line segment and its construction with the help of a distinct length, drawing the copy of any constructed line segment, perpendicular lines, a perpendicular line through a given point on another line, perpendicular bisector, construction of an angle with a given measurement, construction of the copy of any angle of no known measurement, bisecting an angle, and angles with special measurements.
Thus, the best way to ace your exam is by reading and being absolutely thorough with your NCERT book.